Home Alone
独自在家
I remember the first time that my parents left me home alone.
我记得我父母第一次把我独自留在家里。
I was very grown up, and I thought that I would be just fine.
我已经长大了,我想我会没事的。
I was fine for a while.
有一段时间我很好。
I watched television and had something to eat.
我看了电视,吃了点东西。
I called my friend on the phone, and we talked for a while.
我打电话给我的朋友,我们聊了一会儿。
Then, I sat down to read a book.
然后,我坐下来看书。
The house was quiet, very quiet.
房子里很安静,非常安静。
I found myself listening very carefully.
我发现自己非常仔细地听着。
I heard a tap, tap tapping noise.
我听到了敲击,敲击声。
I wondered where it was coming from.
我想知道这声音是从哪里来的。
It seemed to be coming from the window.
它似乎是从窗户传来的。
I turned out the lights so that nobody would see me, and I peeked out the window carefully.
我把灯关了,这样没人会看见我,我小心翼翼地往窗外看了看。
I was expecting to see a robber tapping at my window.
我本以为会看到一个强盗在敲我的窗户。
There was nobody there.
那里没有人。
It was just a tree branch swaying in the breeze and tapping at my window.
那只是一根树枝在微风中摇曳,敲打着我的窗户。
I felt silly.
我觉得很傻。
I turned on the lights and sat back down to read my book.
我打开灯,坐下来看书。
A few minutes later, I heard some creaking noises.
几分钟后,我听到一些吱吱作响的声音。
I listened carefully.
我仔细地听着。
Then, I heard a clunking noise.
然后,我听到一声巨响。
I think it might have been the furnace.
我想可能是火炉。
Then there was a whirring noise.
然后有呼呼的声音。
My imagination began to play tricks on me.
我的想象力开始捉弄我。
I was imagining that there were all kinds of creatures in the house.
我想象着房子里有各种各样的生物。
I told myself to grow up.
我告诉自己要长大。
I wouldn’t let my imagination run away with me.
我不会让我的想象力随我而去。
I was glad when my parents got home.
当我父母回家时,我很高兴。
I told them about all the noises that I had heard.
我告诉了他们我听到的所有噪音。
My parents laughed and said that all houses make noises.
我父母笑着说,所有的房子都会发出噪音。
We’re usually just so busy that we don’t hear all the noises that go on.
我们通常只是太忙了,听不到所有的噪音。
I have stayed home alone many times now.
我现在已经独自呆在家里很多次了。
I just ignore all the little creaks and noises that I hear.
我只是忽略了我听到的所有吱吱声和噪音。
I am still alert and listen for anything suspicious, but I know that there are lots of noises that are harmless.
我仍然保持警惕,倾听任何可疑的声音,但我知道有很多无害的噪音。
That tree that taps on my window still frightens me sometimes, but I’m a lot braver now than I was the first time that I stayed home alone.
那棵敲打我窗户的树有时仍然让我害怕,但我现在比第一次独自呆在家里勇敢多了。